Why I Love Blogging

  People blog for many reasons. Originally, I started my blog the end of 2013 as an author platform.


But as time passed, I realized my blog provided much more than an author platform and it wasn't all about the numbers https://www.cerdastekno.com. Blogging served a different and more profound purpose. I would even say that it's changed the way I look at and live my life.


That's why if you're thinking about starting a blog, I'd highly recommend it. That is, if you're blogging for the right reasons.


If you're starting a blog to get rich or even to eke out a living, well, don't count on it. Monetizing a blog is super hard these days. In fact, after three years, I'm still not making money from my blog. By the way, don't believe all the hype from people selling online courses that try to convince you blogging is a great way to make passive income www.hymer-acceleration.de. Make no mistake, writing and promoting a blog is a ton of work. There is nothing passive about it.


In fact, it's so easy to get frustrated when you first start a blog. As a technically-challenged person, I had to learn WordPress. Then, I spent a lot of time promoting my blog and trying to find an audience. Something else I knew little about. As with most bloggers, I quickly became obsessed - and depressed - with the numbers and how many visitors, subscribers, and Facebook followers I had on any given day. Turns out building up readership for a blog takes a LOT of time, effort, and patience.


So Why Blog?


Some people may disagree with me, but I think blogging shouldn't just be about making money, drumming up business, gathering a huge following, chasing fame, or trying to sell books.


Blogging can serve as a creative channel to voice ideas, thoughts, opinions, beliefs, and feelings. On top of that, writing a blog provides a wonderful opportunity to inspire and touch the lives of other people in a positive way.


How Blogging Changed My Life


My blog has certainly seen me through many ups and downs these past few years. I've written about joyful moments like a trip to Chicago with my husband to celebrate our anniversary, a day spent playing in the snow with my grandchildren, watching Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones at Desert Trip, and a quick weekend trip with my kids to San Francisco.


I've also poured my heart out while caregiving for my Mom who suffered from Lewy Body dementia and wrote about her eventual death. I shared my angst when my mother-in-law died from ovarian cancer and my son went through a painful divorce and custody battle that same year. (Ironically, shortly after I started writing a blog about happiness, I had the worst year of my life.)


Yes, I love reading, which provides a welcome respite from my troubles, but writing is my real escape, outlet, and passion. When I write, I become so focused, my problems fade away for awhile, giving me a much needed break. In fact, if you're truly a writer, believe me, it is a life-long addiction!


The process of putting my thoughts and feelings into writing has brought me comfort as well as help me relive happy moments.writer


As I've written about my life, my blog helped me think about what's important to me and determine if my life is headed in the right direction.


Since I can't write about every event, idea, thought, and feeling, blogging provides a sort of filter, clarifying my life. My blogs have helped me understand what is most meaningful to me. I've discovered along the way that sometimes it's the simplest moments that make me the happiest.


Embracing Creativity


As a professional writer, my blog gives me wonderful creative freedom to express myself. Not to pop anyone's balloon, but writing sounds more glamorous than it is in reality. For most of the past 25 years, I've written articles on subjects that magazines, newspapers, publishers, and clients choose for me.


True, I've written two young adult books, travel articles, humorous pieces, and feature stories on fascinating people that were fun. On the other hand, in order to make a living, I've also written articles that bored me to tears. I've tackled technical articles - and one technical book - that gave me an Excedrin headache and drove me nuts. I've written on demand, meeting other people's deadlines, writing late into the night as my brain is desperately trying to call it quits.


Don't get me wrong. I may sound whiny, but I fully realize that I'm darn lucky to have made a living at something I love. I wouldn't have had it any other way.


The point is, my blog is my baby. I write on subjects I'm interested in and feel passionate about and hope my audience will enjoy as well. My blog allows me to stretch as a writer, explore, experiment, and try new things whenever the muse hits. Writing professionally has given me the discipline to publish a blog every week, but I write my blogs when I choose. And believe me, that's not at the crack of dawn or 10:00 at night! That is luxurious.


So, those are some of the ways blogging has changed my life. But, as I mentioned earlier, the huge bonus is that blogging can change other people's lives as well.


Some people have left comments letting me know that I have in some small way inspired them or provided useful information and that always brings me such joy. Writing a blog has provided an opportunity to connect with readers and other bloggers, which has been so rewarding.


What kind of blogs have proven to be most popular? It's always interesting to see what resonates and hits home. My top ten blogs in order of popularity:


1. Five Ways to Become a Happy-Go-Lucky Person


Every year, this is my top-performing blog by far. Merriam-Webster defines happy-go-lucky as blithely unconcerned and carefree. Synonyms include affable, laid-back, low-pressure, and mellow. I guess we all want some of that!


2. Golden Boys in Concert: Bobby Rydell, Frankie Avalon, and Fabian


I was asked to do a book review of Bobby Rydell's autobiography. This led to an interview, free tickets to his Golden Boys concert with Frankie Avalon and Fabian, and a backstage pass to meet Rydell in person. This was a nice perk that came from blogging! The day they posted my concert review on Rydell's Facebook page, my visitors increased by 3000% for the day. No joke!


3. Keep Laughing with the Seven Dwarfs of Menopause


This blog has held a top-three spot since I began blogging. Hey, it's either laugh or cry through menopause, and wouldn't we all prefer to laugh?


4. Staying Positive Despite Problems


Everyone has problems that make us feel powerless and defeated, so I'm not surprised this blog made the top ten. I offer three simple tips on how we can control our outlook and still choose to be happy despite our troubles.


5. What Are Your Life's Happiest Moments?


If you look back on your life, which moments would you count as your happiest? What would be your biggest regrets? That's the question one study asked participants aged 70 and older. I share the results of their insightful answers in this blog.


6. Why Older People Are Happier Than Baby Boomers


Aww, my very first blog that got my blog off the ground. The idea for this blog was based on studies that show, in general, older people - and even the younger generation - are happier than us baby boomers. One study confirmed there is a U-shaped happiness curve with the early 50's as the lowest point of well-being.


7. Happy as Easy as 1-2-3


"I want my day to feel like there is boundless beauty and possibilities and joy to be felt, discovered, explored, and expressed. And you know what? I can and so can you," I wrote. This article got discovered on Stumble Upon, bringing me my second (after the Rydell concert review) all-time record high number of visitors for one day.


8. Staying Happy Through Menopause


I wrote this article after Hot Flash Daily hired me to write humorous articles about menopause to launch their new website. I had never written humor before, but had a blast doing it for them! I happily shared it all - the scorching hot flashes, insane insomnia, annoying forgetfulness, and crazy panic attacks that ensued for years. Yes, YEARS!


9. Finding Happiness with Grandchildren


This blog was an easy one to write. To be needed and wanted by these delightful little beings is a wonderful treat and privilege. Like many people, I find that the rewards of family life only grew richer and more fulfilling as each new grandchild was born.


10. Five Happy Snoopy Quotes


Okay, this one surprised me a little bit. But hey, don't we all still love Snoopy? Now that I write a happiness blog, I'm impressed with how much wisdom Charles M. Schultz cartoons contain on the subject.


I loved writing all these articles that proved to be popular with readers. With that in my mind, what's my basic advice to all of you who are thinking about blogging? Write about your passions. Let your blog teach you life lessons. And, finally, enjoy the process. Then you can love blogging as much as I do!

How Do I BLOG?


How do I know if I need a BLOG? What is a Blog anyway?


I know what a website is, but what is a blog? A blog is a new version of a website. It has the ability to transform each and every day and allow visitors to interact with it. Let's go back to websites for just a minute.


Website = a group of one page or more that have static content. They take advanced skills to put together and are complex to update and maintain. Most of the time the content remains the same upon each visit to it. People visit once to read content rarely to return again. Websites are Stagnant Water


BUT


Blog = a modern website. It has the ability to transform each and every day with new content. Blogs are very simple and easy to update. There is usually a header and a side bar that remain constant with the center content changing with updates. Articles written can be linked back to the main thought. This helps bring traffic to your page. People continue to come back to see what is new. Blogs are babbling brooks.


Blogs are dynamic and have fast setup ... websites are static and slow


How do I know if I need a blog?


A blog can be used by anyone delivering a message. I know you are saying to yourself, I don't have a message to share. My answer to you is ~ yes you do, you might not know it yet but stick with me and I will show you how you can benefit from blogging.


Blogs can help Churches and other non-profit organizations get the message out, blogs can help those of us who sell something (make-up, Jewelry, real estate, sell on Etsy or eBay), blogs can help companies who provide services (computer repair, hair stylists, or landscapers). Blogs have even helped my son, Nick, become a better writer. I believe a blog should be used by everyone.


Blogs have multiple areas that help Google find you easier. A subset leads back to the master blog and tells Google you are important. The subsets strengthen the main page.


To answer a few questions I have received and responded to about blogging keep reading.


How do I know a blog will help my church? A church would use a blog like this... Instead of a website (stagnant water) a church would write on a blog. They would have their header on the top (telling which church they are and maybe a phone number etc) the side could have sermon hours etc, and the middle would contain moving content.


They would discuss what was talked about during the previous sermon for those folks who could not be present. They might discuss plans for the future on another blog and link back to the master blog, enforcing and strengthening the blog in the eyes of Google. Fundraisers could quickly and easily be added and shared. People would be inclined to return to see what was new; to feel connected in some way and to feel part of the church as a whole.


Blogs get readers coming back.


How do I know a blog will help me as a Real Estate Professional?


You sell real estate. In the past you sent out post cards telling people in the neighborhood that you just sold a house where they live and that you would gladly list theirs for sale too. These color postcards you mail out are expensive to print and mail. Plus, you have no guarantee they are being delivered to the person capable of agreeing to the sale. They may actually get delivered to a renter or not arrive at all. This is hit or miss advertising.


On the other hand, you could set up a blog telling about you as a real estate professional in the city you reside. This narrows the searches down in Google when someone is looking for house buying or selling. They can look up this "I want to sell my house in Loxahatchee Florida. You have a greater chance of being seen labeling yourself specifically. Each blog you write can direct back to your master blog about you. No matter what blog they read or share, they will always have your contact information. Another example, you may write about the housing market in Loxahatchee or you may write about houses you have for sale that are 3 bedroom and 3,000 sq feet. One more example could be: a blog about open houses you will be conducting in the area.


What about your jewelry or make-up business ~ how can a blog help you? Well, as it stands now you connect with people you know and try to get them involved in having a party. They invite their friends and family to attend. You then set up a time to meet these people, show them what you have to offer (your message) and hope to make a sale. This involves bringing products with you to talk about, share, and show. In return you offer the hostess something: a free gift or credit to use towards products.


Think about this... you set up a blog. This blog helps you connect with people in your area and abroad. You can write about specials you are having via separate blogs that connect back to your master blog. You can show pictures or videos of items and explain each one. Jewelry items shown on your blog can attach to an online order form allowing people not local to purchase. People in the area can contact you via a form to set up a party too.


How do I use a blog for family communication? Another group of people who could benefit from blogging is a family. I love scrap-booking and keep albums with my daughter and son as they grow. The only way for it to be seen is for someone to visit my house. My friends and family not local would have no way to hear or see what is happening with us. A family blog would start with who is in the family, ages of everyone, and any other information necessary to start a family bond. The subset blogs (blogs that connect back to the master blog) could talk about Thanksgiving plays at school, the Mother's Day tea party, kindergarten graduation, and any other family event you want to share with the family. Pictures and video would make a great addition to the written content.


There is a misconception that you have to be a guru to have a blog. A blog can be managed by anyone and is a way to convey a message. Maybe you have a special way to grow orchids or braid hair. If you have an interest in it, someone else does too. Share it. Don't be afraid to express your knowledge and take massive action. Your message could be as simple as telling a community you exist and update them about happenings to the big fundraiser your school or organization. It could also be a way to connect with your family and friends and to update them about what is happening on the home front. If you have a passion for something share it with the world through a blog.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Choose a Cottage Holiday?

Home Decoration is an Art and Science

What Is Content Writing?